Social Icons

.

09 January 2013

Interview with Kendare Blake

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.







1) How and why have you started to write? Were there something or someone that gave you an impulse?


I read a lot when I was a kid. And continue to as an adult. I've always been compelled to write. I don't really remember where it came from.

2) Tell me something about you and your book Anna Dressed in Blood.

Well, Anna Dressed in Blood tells the story of the strange life of Cas Lowood, a ghost hunter, and Anna Dressed in Blood, the murdered sixteen year old girl he's supposed to kill. And I...like cake.

3) While youre writing, have you discovered a character that you where developing feelings of love for? And was there a character that gave you headaches?
I love all my characters in different ways, for different reasons. Anna gave me a headache because I didn't know who she was at first. But as Cas learned, I did too. I love love love the hero in my new series, ANTIGODDESS. But that's a long way away.


4) How have you done your research for this novel?
I went to Thunder Bay, Ontario and did location research. Walked through graveyards and checked out the town. Went to all the haunted places. And I have a friend who's an expert on serial killers, so she helps.

5) Is there a book that inspired your writings?

Not really a single book. I love the writing of Bret Easton Ellis, Caitlin R Kiernan, Joe Hill and Angela Carter.

6) In the end, would you like say some words to your fans from Romania?
Thank you! I hope you enjoy hanging out with Cas and Co. I'm so thrilled it's coming out in Romania!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates