Social Icons

.

04 April 2013

Interview with Jaime Lee Moyer the author of Delia's Shadow



A dark, romantic fantasy set against the backdrop of San Francisco devastated by the Great Quake


It is the dawn of a new century in San Francisco and Delia Martin is a wealthy young woman whose life appears ideal. But a dark secret colors her life, for Delia’s most loyal companions are ghosts, as she has been gifted (or some would say cursed) with an ability to peer across to the other side.


Since the great quake rocked her city in 1906, Delia has been haunted by an avalanche of the dead clamoring for her help. Delia flees to the other side of the continent, hoping to gain some peace. After several years in New York, Delia believes she is free…until one determined specter appears and she realizes that she must return to the City by the Bay in order to put this tortured soul to rest.

It will not be easy, as the ghost is only one of the many victims of a serial killer who was never caught. A killer who after thirty years is killing again.

And who is now aware of Delia’s existence.
................................................................................................................................................



Thank you Ms. Moyer for letting me take you this interview!



1) How and why have you started to write? Were there something or someone that gave you an impulse?

I think I wrote my first story when I was ten or eleven years old. That first story led to another, and another, and I wrote for most of my life. Writing has always been a part of my life. I started writing seriously toward publication in 2001. It was time.

2) Tell me something about your book Delia's Shadow.

Delia's Shadow is a ghost story murder mystery set in 1915 San Francisco. Part of the story takes place at the 1915 World's Fair which was held in San Francisco that year. Delia Martin, the title character, comes home to San Francisco to try and lay to rest the ghost who has begun haunting her and pleading for her help. That doesn't turn out to be an easy task. The serial killer who stalked the city thirty years before has begun killing again and he has Delia in his sights. With Detective Gabe Ryan, Delia helps catch the killer and finds peace for his victims. Along the way, Gabe and Delia fall in love.

3) While youre writing, have you discovered a character that you where developing feelings of love for? And was there a character that gave you headaches?

One of the characters in Delia's Shadow that I love beyond reason is Isadora Bobet, medium, spiritualist, and closet witch. Dora is one of my all time favorite characters. Not the least of those reasons is that she is ever and always herself. And she's so much fun to write!
I can't say any of these characters gave me a headache.

4) How have you done your research for this novel?

I read so much for this series of novels: newspaper articles, writings from the early 1900s, old letters, everything I could find. I've viewed thousand of photographs from that time period to get the details right, everything from automobiles to lady's hats. I still took at old photos as I'm writing book three.
My least favorite research was reading about serial killers. Some of that was rather gruesome.

5) Is there a book that inspired your writings?

Many writers have inspired me over the years, but I can't point to any one book. Writers I love include Ursula Le Guin, Elizabeth Bear, Neil Gaiman, Barbara Hambly, Amanda Downum, Rae Carson, Jodi Meadows, and Ian Tregillis. Good writing is always inspiring.

6) In the end, would you like say some words to your fans from Romania?

My biggest hope is that people who read Delia's Shadow enjoy the book and fall in love with the characters. That's all any writer can wish for.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates