Social Icons

.

17 July 2013

Interview with Victoria H. Smith the author of The Space Between

When Drake started the night at his father’s campaign fundraiser, he never imagined he’d end it being conned into buying drugs on the West Side. Losing high-stakes poker has its consequences, but he’d repeatedly face them just to hear Lacey Douglas sing. Drake sees Lacey light up the stage, and he has to have her. But his intentions for being on her side of town turn out to be the reason he can’t.

Chicago native Lacey has dreams of the opera, but life has its obstacles. Lacey has come to know her hardships as part of living in the real world and accepts them fully. When Lacey meets the intense and invigorating Drake, a fire is lit inside her, unleashing those dreams again.

Two paths that should have never crossed prove to create the exact pairing the other needs. But when their worlds take time to catch up, everything they have is tested. Finding the space between the two sides that challenge them will be hard, but it’s the only place that will keep them together.

The Space Between is a new adult contemporary romance.


Thank you Ms. Smith for this interview!


1) How and why have you started to write? Were there something or someone that gave you an impulse?

I wanted to read novels that related to people like me. I was in grad school and wanted something to read other than my boring textbooks. When I went in search for those types of books at my local bookstores, I literally couldn’t find anything. Searching online, I found one book about college students: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. I enjoyed that book so I looked for more, but couldn’t find any. That was when I realized books like this didn’t really exist. So I sat down, thought about what I was looking for in a book, and went to work. Three weeks later I had a novel. While I was in the process of publishing it, new adult literally evolved around me. Now, it’s everywhere, and I’m so grateful for that.

2) Tell me something about you and your book The Space Between.

Something about me, well, I enjoy extreme couponing when I’m not writing. I have a mini stock pile and everything. Something about The Space Between is it’s a story about differences, and how those can sometimes bring us closer together in the best possible ways!

3) While youre writing, have you discovered a character that you where developing feelings of love for? And was there a character that gave you headaches?

I actually got really close to Adele while writing for her. She’s not very nice to Lacey at first, but as I pulled apart the layers of her character I realized she has many of the same issues as her brother (Drake), but just deals with them in different ways. She’s very misunderstood, and I enjoyed getting to know her. There weren’t really any characters that gave me headaches, but Drake was definitely the hardest to write for. He’s an Asian adoptee into a rich, white family. I had to do lots of research to discover how he would deal with that and what he needed to be a more fulfilled individual.

4) How have you done your research for this novel?

I’m from the Midwest so the setting wasn’t too hard to research. For character research, I did a lot of article reading and studying. Mostly about international adoptions. I had to figure out what countries allowed Americans to adopt from them, and then I had to research adoptees themselves. I watched a lot of videos, read blogs, and stalked Facebook “like” pages about international adoptions. I really wanted to do Drake justice :)

5) Is there a book that inspired your writings?

There are no books that really inspired my writing, but my steamy writing style is influenced by some of my favorite authors. I enjoy Jennifer Echols, Simone Elkeles, Tiffany Ashley, and SC Stephens.

6) In the end, would you like say some words to your fans from Romania?

Hi, everyone, out there in Romania! I hope you enjoy The Space Between. It’s a novel that’s very close to my heart. Though it deals with some tough issues, it’s also very witty and full of steamy steam! I hope everyone can get something out of it :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates