Social Icons

.

15 August 2012

Interview: Robin Brande


I BELIEVE IN SIGNS. 

And this one said: "Dog trainer needed immediately. Must provide own dog." 
I snatched the paper off the announcement board before anyone else could see it. 
BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT TIME.
Meet Riley Case: An expert with dogs, lousy with people. She's been keeping a low profile at her high school--well, except for that incident with the birds--but when the chance comes to use her talents as a dog trainer to help the drama department win a national competition, she knows she can't stay in the shadows any longer. 
Funny and tender, with plenty for any animal-lover to love, DOGGIRL and her dogs will steal your heart.




English version:


1) How and why have you started to write? Were there something or someone that gave you an impulse?

I’ve wanted to write since I was about 10 years old, but I never had confidence that it was a real job. My parents didn’t think so, either! So I went to college and then to law school and became a lawyer instead. But I was always writing stories and plays and musicals on the side. Finally I decided a few years ago to stop running away from my dream, and to get serious about it. So I stopped doing everything else, and started writing books. And here I am! And I can honestly say that this job is just as great as I dreamed it would be when I was 10. I get to read as much as I want, writing stories all day—it’s wonderful.

2) Tell me something about you and your book Doggirl.

I wrote DOGGIRL because when I was young I desperately—I mean DESPERATELY—wanted a dog, but my mother wouldn’t let me have one. She didn’t want any animals of any kind in our house. So the best I could do was read every single book I could find at the library that had a dog on the cover. I especially loved any book that had a dog AND a girl on the cover—then I could pretend to be her.

Now that I’m an adult, of course I have dogs. And it was such a joy to write DOGGIRL, about a girl who not only has dogs, but also knows how to train them to do all sorts of tricks like you see in the movies. That is definitely a book I would have loved to read when I was a girl!

3) While youre writing, have you discovered a character that you where developing feelings of love for? And was there a character that gave you headaches?

I’m very simplistic this way: I love all my main girl characters and the guys they have crushes on. I love to write scene after scene for them, because it’s so much fun to spend time with them.

On the other hand, I hate all the mean characters in my books and can’t stand writing scenes for them, because they don’t deserve them. I don’t know if other writers feel that way about their characters, but I certainly do!

4) How have you done your research for this novel?

I always do TONS of research for all my novels. Mainly because I love having a reason to read as many books as I want about topics I’m interested in. So for DOGGIRL, I read books on dog training, animal behavior, animal training for the movies and theater, etc. For other books of mine I’ve done all sorts of scientific research that I think is so fascinating. One of my series, PARALLELOGRAM, involves quantum physics and parallel universes. The research is hard, but I just love learning!

5) Is there a book that inspired your writings?

All the books I read as a young girl made me want to grow up to be a writer. I especially loved books about magic and animals. I love the HARRY POTTER books now—in fact, I’ve been rereading the whole series this summer, because I always learn so much about writing by reading how well J.K. Rowling does it. Plus I simply love the story!

6) In the end, would you like say some words to your fans from Romania?

I’m thrilled to have fans in Romania! Your country looks so beautiful. I love the photos I’ve seen of the architecture and the countryside. Gorgeous!

Thank you for asking me these questions, Simona. I’m glad you love books as much as I do!


Romanian version:


CRED ÎN SEMNE

Iar acesta spune: „ Dresor de câini, necesitat imediat. Trebuie să aibă propriul câine. “
Am rupt foaia de hârtie de pe panoul cu anunţuri, înainte ca altcineva să-l vadă.

PENTRU CĂ ESTE VORBA DE TIMP.

Faceţi cunoştinţă cu Riley Case: O expertă în materie de câini, un dezastru când vine vorba de oameni. Ea încearcă să nu atragă prea mult atenţia la liceul ei-- exceptând incidentul cu păsările-- dar acum când şansa ei se iveşte, aceasta nu se mai poate ascunde. Îşi va folosi talentul de dresoare pentru animale, pentru a ajuta departamentul de teatru al liceului să câştige competiţia naţională.
Distractivă şi simpatică, cu totul pentru iubitorii de animale, DOGGIRL şi câinii ei îţi vor fura inima.

1) Cum şi când ai început să scrii? A existat cineva sau ceva, care te-a impulsionat?

Mi-am dorit să scriu încă de la vârsta de 10 ani, dar niciodată nu am avut siguranţa că este un job real. Părinţii mei au gândit la fel! Deci, am mers la colegiu, apoi la avocatură şi aşa am devenit instant, avocată. Dar mereu am scris poveşti şi piese de teatru de pe margine. Într-un final am decis acum câţiva ani să nu mai fug de visurile mele şi să le i-au în serios. Am încetat să mai fac altceva  şi am început să scriu cărţi. Şi iată-mă aici! Şi pot spune foarte onest, că acest job este minunat, aşa cum am visat atunci când aveam 10 ani. Am reuşit să citesc cât am dorit, să scriu poveşti toată ziua-- este minunat.

2) Tell me something about you and your book Doggirl.

Am scris DOGGIRL pentru că, atunci când eram tânără vroiam cu disperare-- vreau să spun DISPERATĂ-- un câine, dar mama mea nu m-ar fi lăsat să am unul. Ea nu vroia nici un fel de animal la noi în casă. Tot ceea ce puteam să fac, era să citesc fiecare carte, pe care o găseam la bibliotecă şi avea un câine pe copertă. Iubeam în special orice carte, care avea un câine şi o fată pe copertă-- apo puteam să pretind că sunt ea.
Acum că sunt adult, bineânţeles că am un câine. A fost o încântare să scriu DOGGIRL, despre o fată,  care nu numai că are câini, dar ştie de asemenea cum să-i dreseze ca să facă tot felul de trucuri ca în filme. Aceasta este cu siguranţă o carte, pe care aş fi citit-o cu încântare pe vremea când eram o fetiţă!

3) While youre writing, have you discovered a character that you where developing feelings of love for? And was there a character that gave you headaches?

Sunt foarte simplistă în legătură cu asta: Îmi iubesc toate personajele feminine principale şi pe băieţii faţă de care acestea se îndrăgostesc. Îmi place să scriu scenă după scenă pentru ei, pentru că este foarte distractiv să petrec timp cu ei.

Pe de altă parte, urăsc toate personajele rele din cărţile mele şi nu prea mă simt în largul meu când scriu scene pentru ei, pentru că nu le merită. Nu ştiu dacă ceilalţi autori simt la fel faţă de personajele lor, dar eu cu siguranţă aşa fac!

4) How have you done your research for this novel?

Întotdeauna fac o tonă de cercetare pentru toate poveştiile mele. Amânunţite, pentru că iubesc să am un motiv pentru a citi la fel de multe cărţi pe cât îmi place să citesc subiectele, de care sunt interesată. Deci pentru DOGGIRL, am citit cărţi despre dresajul acestora, comportamentul lor, dresajul acestora în filme şi teatru, etc. Pentru celelalte cărţi ale mele am făcut fel şi fel de cercetări ştinţifiice şi cred că asta este fascinant. Una dintre seriile mele PARALLELOGRAM, implică un cuantum atât fizic şi în paralel universul. Cercetarea este grea, dar chiar ador să învăţ!

5) Is there a book that inspired your writings?

Toate cărţiile pe care le-am citit când eram mică m-au făcut să-mi doresc să devin o scriitoare. În special iubeam cărţiile despre magie şi animale. Iubesc cărţiile HARRY POTTER acum-- de fapt, am recitit întreaga serie în vara aceasta, pentru că mereu învăţ atât d multe despre scris, citind cât de bine J.K. Rowling o face. În plus, pur şi simplu iubesc povestea!

6) In the end, would you like say some words to your fans from Romania?

Sunt încântată să am fani în România! Ţara ta pare atât de frumoasă. Iubesc pozele, pe care le-am văzut ale arhitecturii şi mediului rural. Superbe!




Thank you Robin because you grant me this interview!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates