Social Icons

.

07 April 2013

Interview with Kristen Simmons the author of Article 5


Thank you very much Ms. Simmons for the opportunity of having you on our blog today!

1) How and why have you started to write? Were there something or someone that gave you an impulse?

I began writing at a young age, but it wasn't until college that I actually finished a full length novel. I was inspired to write Article 5 after witnessing a protest outside of a bookstore. I wondered what would happen if people in America lost the freedom to read what they wanted. I started thinking of other freedoms we might lose as well - the freedom of speech, to marry who you wanted, to have a child with someone you loved... From that I created a world where the government was able to ban our previously enjoyed freedoms, and in their place, create a set of moral principles called the Moral Statutes.

2) Tell me something about your book Article 5.

Article 5 is the story of a girl who is frantically trying to find her mother after the love of her life arrests them for a violation against the Moral Statutes.

3) While youre writing, have you discovered a character that you where developing feelings of love for? And was there a character that gave you headaches?

Ha! Yes, I do love some characters - Chase and Ember included. Others did give me a headache - Tucker Morris for one!

4) How have you done your research for this novel?

I spent a lot of time reading historical texts about the creation of the Bill of Rights, and other American documents granting personal freedoms. I did some really fun things too - I rode a motorcycle and went to work with a police officer to get a better feel for what the characters might experience.

5) Is there a book that inspired your writings?

There are many books that inspire me for different reasons. Cormac McCarthy's The Road inspired my obsessions with dystopia. The Handmaid's Tale inspired me to write about the unfair treatment of women. I love reading romance novels too - they inspired me to write the love story between Chase and Ember.

6) In the end, would you like say some words to your fans from Romania?

Thank you for reading this interview, and I hope you enjoy my books! You can find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/author.kristensimmons, on twitter (@kris10writes) or visit my website (www.kristensimmonsbooks.com) for more updates on me or my writing. Have a great day!








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates